Monthly Archives: May 2013

Adding gameplay

A lot of the tech is in and so now I am trying to make the first level fun.  I am having a lot of trouble balancing the boss fight, but it’s getting there.


Did a bunch of small things today.  I created “mob” and “object” buttons for my exporter that set all the right settings for exporting that type of asset.  I moved exported mob assets into their own folder and got the floater mob working in game.  I added a vertical offset to mobs so that bullets hit them in their center and not at their feet.  I also centered the UI target reticule and weapon projectiles.

Floater, Extending Classes, Walking

Mobs now move towards player correctly, but sometimes the chomper doesn’t attack the player.  I am thinking the facing angle got messed up when I converted from a top down to side view.

I was reading about extending classes and thought that would be great to do for my mobs.  Each mob type is a class with a bunch of variables that define it’s HP, attacks, etc.  The mobs share many of the same variable values, so I made a mob template class.  I then added an init function to the specific mobs to only set the values that are not the same as the template.  That makes for a lot less redundant code and the individual mob’s classes are now much cleaner.

I built a squid like floater mob that will shoot at the player.  I finished the shoot animation, but still need to texture the model.

Movement and Menus and finishing shockbots 1 for secondary sponsor

I put the main menu, sponsor intro and pause into a new menu class which helped reduce the clutter in my main class.  I broke the npc attacks into separate functions so the mobs class is much better organized.  I made some progress on the movement class, but I think I have some remnants of the old way of npc movement still in there that’s preventing the mobs from moving.  The collision checks are all good, but there is no movement on the x axis.

Over the last few days I have been corresponding with the secondary sponsor to get the Shockbots 1 working on their site.  There is a six to eight hour time difference so it’s been challenging but I think I finished all the required changes.

Movement and collision

I created a new class for movement, controls and collision detection.  I used to have different code for mobs and the player, and it was pretty much just duplicated code.  So, to streamline things I combined them.  Of course that means I broke movement once a mob wakes up, but I’ll figure that out tomorrow.